Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Common Hamstring Stretch: Proper vs. Improper (Pictures)

I’ve been running a Fitness Bootcamp for the past year at Aviation Park Track and Field in the Manhattan Beach area. This is a very popular track, so naturally, I tend to witness many mistakes being made from non-members of my Bootcamp working out nearby. One common mistake that I wanted to illustrate today has to do with a very popular hamstring stretch. Chances are you’ve done this stretch, and you may gain something from this post, as many people perform this stretch incorrectly.



INCORRECT STRETCH #1

INCORRECT STRETCH #2


Analyze the pictures above, and you will see a few mistakes that are commonly made.

Bending of the back to reach closer to the feet.
- Many people have heard that you should be able to reach your toes, or stretch your hamstring to 90 degrees. However, there is no further benefit of stretching at a greater angle if your back has to arch to reach that point. You may be feeling a stretch in the hamstrings, but you are mainly stretching you back in this position. Another note is that if increasing your flexibility is what you’re aiming for from this stretch, your flexibility will not improve if your back bends.

Bending of the knee.
- When stretching from this position, once your knee begins to bend, you are no longer focusing on your hamstring. Instead, you will begin to feel a stretch in the Hip Flexer as you begin to lengthen the quadriceps as well.

Pushing the Knee to hold the leg straight
- Placing a hand on the leg or knee area is ok, however, by forcing the leg straight, you run a risk of strain or injury. You should never have to force yourself into a position that you body does not want to be in with minimal force. The same goes for grabbing your feet to hold-on-to-the stretch.




 
CORRECT STRETCH #1

CORRECT STRETCH #2


Taking a look at the second set of pictures above, you may be able to see some immediate differences.

Hinging at the Hips
- By pushing my butt back, placing my weight onto my heels, and hinging at the hips rather than bending, you can immediately notice the difference in my posture. There is no longer a need for me to reach my toes, as I’m creating an angle by hinging, and lengthening the hamstrings in a safer and much more comfortable position.

Posture
- By hinging at my hips, rather then reaching for my toes, I am able to keep my back straight and in good posture. Arching your back is not necessary, especially when reaching down to opposite directions. It’s likely that you can cause some compression as well.


Isolation
- By not arching the back I am able to isolate the exact group of muscles that I want to stretch; my hamstrings.

Hand Placement
- Rather then push the knee, I can simply place my hand on my leg for balance. This hand is primarily placed along my quads and knee area to hold good posture. Pushing my butt back behind me, and hinging, is performing the stretching, rather than the “reach”.

As for the length of time optimal for each stretch, :20 seconds per stretch is around the limit for muscles to improve “ROM" (range of motion). Studies show that stretching for longer than :20 offers no greater benefit for the muscle, and poses a greater risk for adding excess stress to that muscle.

This is just a simple tip. There are many different variations of stretching and purposes for each stretch. I personally prefer to perform active and fluid stretching rather than static, and definitely suggest you get a good warm-up before any type of stretching.












1 comment:

  1. This post about common hamstring stretch power is really awesome. I like this too much. Wonderful blog by you.


    bootcamps south bay

    ReplyDelete