Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Resolutions

Today is New Years Day. Many people may just be starting their day, perhaps getting some brunch with their family. People right now, all across our nation have one thing in common, today, more than anything else, a “New Years Resolution”. I have only been outside the U.S. to travel across Peru, so I can’t speak for the entire world, however I can speak for the majority of the U.S., by calling a New Years Resolution a “tradition”. I love the purpose behind this tradition, but at the same time, it’s obvious that not too many people follow through with their “goals”. 

Example: 
If you’re hungover and your goal last night was to quit smoking cigarettes, yet the first thing you did this morning was smoke a "cancer stick" to ease the pounding headache, chances are you’re saying “to hell with my resolution”, or “I’ll start tomorrow”. I can understand if you don’t want to stop smoking today. Perhaps you’re not strong enough to deal with #1 Quitting Smoking, #2 Dealing w/ a hangover, #3 Lack of Sleep and Irritability, all at the same time. The worst thing you can do here is feel guilty that you, yet again, did not follow through with your goal. Guilt usually leads us to either “fight or flight”. In fact, it’s human nature to do these things. We are habitual creatures that have simple needs; Pleasure, Security, Procreation, Love, etc. I don’t look at those who make mistakes, based on these human needs, any differently than I look at anyone else. Instead, I look at people for what they’re trying to do “today”, to better themselves or make positive changes towards who they want to be “tomorrow”.

Lack of motivation, putting things off until tomorrow and procrastination, are all “character defects”. These defects of our character are a few of the most common characteristics, that I notice, consistently across human nature. I can see this in so many people because, I battle with this pattern as well. The only thing that may differentiate me from the average person, is that I have learned to battle the first thought of procrastination and instead hit the on switch and, “Just Do It”.

I met an old man who gave me a circular shaped note. On this note was a short poem titled, “Round Tuit”. The note talked about how many people use the saying, “I’ll get a round tuit”, to avoid taking action today. At the end, the note mentioned how you don’t need to get a “round tuit”, because now you have one, and there should no longer be an excuse. This has always stuck with me.

There’s a saying, “it takes one to know one”. I’m definitely one know one. I learned to combat my bad habits by making a choice, each day to be the best that I can be. The irony is that once I have reached a level which I believe to be my best, it becomes apparent that I can do a little bit better. One inch at a time, I’m able to improve myself a little bit better than the day before, and this is how I view positive changes.

End Note:
People have resolutions of all levels. Some may be to stop biting your finger nails, or smoking cigarettes. Perhaps your goals are to become a more positive person or to get into shape “for real” this time. Whatever your goals may be, if you started your day on the “wrong foot” this morning, don’t beat yourself up. Use that mistake as a learning experience, and “just do it”. No more excuses, or giving up on yourself, because if you made the resolution in the first place, it was obviously something that was important to you!

Happy New Years to the World!

- Devon Redmon


P.S. My goal for the New Year is to break the “standing long jump record”. I’m a few inches a way, so it’s time to get to work! Heading to the gym.









No comments:

Post a Comment