Sunday, December 25, 2011

XMAS - A time for giving (picture’s from the Amazon)

It’s Christmas day, and instead of writing a post on fitness or health. Today I wanted to write about my experience w/ Christmas.

In the Amazon River last year, my friend and I visited a small village within the depths of the Amazon River. Here is a short story on what I experienced.

When we arrived, our “guide”, who spoke the native dialect, informed the village leader of our intentions. They introduced us to some of the elders and parents, including an 11 year old mother of 4. The kid’s were so awesome. In the picture below, you can see a group of small children w/ me standing on the opposite side, if you look to the left, you will notice a taller, more mature looking young girl, “mediating” the group of kids. She made sure that all of the kids got at least one toy, before she picked her own. I thought that was very admirable.


Brent gave balloons, and coloring supplies to another group of kids. Some little ones naturally tried to "okie-doke” us, grabbing a toy, and coming back with a different shirt on, trying to grab another one. We thought it was pretty funny!


The children were excited about the gifts, but had no idea what to do w/ some of them, until we began to show them how they worked. Once Brent “busted out” the "Balloon Launcher", that’s when all the fun began! (picture below)



The tail end of the visit was in the school classroom. In here is where the kids spoke to us as a group and we told jokes and answered questions for them. Brent and I put tattoos on some of the kids.



This entire trip taught me how rewarding giving can be. You don’t need to receive gifts once you feel someone’s true expression of gratitude! Merry Christmas to my friends, my family, and to the world. Enjoy your holidays, and “pay-it-forward!”

No comments:

Post a Comment